Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Pecan Pie Recipe



Pecan pie is one of the favorite Thanksgiving pie. The first time I made pecan pie was in 2004 while we were in the Middle East, and that was my first thanksgiving with my husband. For the first timer, I think I did pretty good. It was a hit  to my Filipino friends. Too bad, I  did not take a picture of it and forgot where I got the recipe. Now that we are in the US, I make pecan pie anytime I want. My family just loves it and I tried it with different ingredients and measurements.

For this recipe I used honey and white sugar. You can also use molasses and brown sugar. Most pecan pie recipes are  a bit too sweet for my taste, so I just adjust  the sugar down by 1/4 to 1/2 cup. You can reduce further or add more according to your taste. It is impossible to go wrong with pecan pie.

Ingredients:

  • Pastry dough
  • 3/4 stick melted unsalted butter
  • 3/4 white sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • grated zest of one lemon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups pecans, cut into halves (1/2 pound)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F with a baking sheet on middle rack. 
  2. Mix the granulated sugar,honey, corn syrup, butter, eggs, vanilla and salt together in a bowl.
  3. Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl,
  4. Whisk in melted butter, sugar, honey corn syrup together until the sugar dissolved, then add in eggs and add all the other ingredients. Whisk well.
  5. Put pecans in the prepared pie crust and pour corn syrup mixture evenly over them.
  6. Bake on hot baking sheet until for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
  7. Allow to cool completely before serving.

Note:
Pecan pie can be baked one day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving. Can be serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Pastry dough recipe


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you!