Monday, September 10, 2012

Scotch Egg



I saw the recipe "Fried Sausage Wrapped Hard Boiled Eggs" in one of the food site. It looks so easy to make and all the ingredients are  available in my kitchen including the 6 hard boiled eggs that I cooked day before that was kept in the refrigerator. I always have hard boiled eggs that I eat anytime I want. So right there and then, I prepared all the ingredients. But wait, I ran out of flour, so I used pancake mix instead of all purpose flour and the finish product was great.

I Google the recipe and found out about a handful of site with exactly the same photos and posts, I wonder who is the original poster. What amazed me was that the egg recipe is actually known as a "Scotch Egg", a popular picnic food in the UK. Scotch eggs  consist of a hard boiled egg, wrapped in sausage meat, then covered in bread crumbs and either deep fried or baked and can be served warm or cold. 

Ingredients:
  1. 6 hard-boiled eggs.
  2. 500g (1.1 lbs) sausage, I used Jimmy Dean pork sausage.
  3. 1/4 cup pancake mix or 1/4 cup all purpose flour.
  4. 2 eggs, beaten
  5. 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  6. Salt and pepper to taste.  
  7. Cooking oil for deep frying

Directions:
  • Boil eggs, peel and let stay in the refrigerator, chill to firm up.
  • Divide sausage into 6 portions and flatten each.
  • Roll each egg in pancake mix or AFP.
  • Wrap eggs with sausage.
  • Beat eggs well, Season with salt and pepper. Don't put too much because the sausage has a salty taste already.
  • Dip sausage-wrapped into eggs and roll in panko bread crumbs.
  • Heat oil over medium-high heat.
  • Cook eggs until golden brown turning once in a while to cook evenly.
  • Serve cold or warm with a side salad or a vinegar dip.

Cooking Tips:
  • Quail or duck eggs can be used too. 
  • Rolling the eggs to wet and dry ingredients can become messy,you can solve this problem by using one hand for handling the wet ingredients and one hand for the dry ones.

31 comments:

  1. Wow! Super easy. My husband loves eggs in his adobo and other dishes which I fiind really weird sometimes. But I will definitely try this soon. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I copy it though and hoping I could make one someday. Thanks for sharing this! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something new to me! Looks like my family will like it,thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems so easy to prepare and not so expensive ingredients. Ask ko nga si wifey if she can do one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super duper easy recipe indeed. Will try that out for the kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby nman avoids too mucg eggs due to its cholesterol contents. While the recipe looks easy, I might have to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow my kids love eggs so much. I will try to make this over the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ayyy....sounds and looks good, this will surely be a hit to the kiddos who loves anything crunchy! Thanks for sharing, will not miss out doing these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the scotch egg looks delish :-) I know this recipe when I watch the Bachelor on TV when the Bachelor is from UK, Matt and he proposed to Shane Lamas but unfortunately the relationship did not work out :-( but I am glad that your scotch egg's recipe did great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen or tasted this type of cooking with egg. It's a nice recipe to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good one to try. Never made it like this before, but I made meat loaf before with eggs in the middle. :) Yours look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow! this looks interesting. I've never seen boiled egg wrapped in a sausage and friend them. i'd like to try this sometime. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! i'd love to try this recipe. unique and delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. name kind of sounds funny... no pun intended... but sure looks yummy.. imma try my wife to make these.. thanks for sharing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks yummy will try it one day because boiled eggs is husband favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pancake is perfect with anything that is a little salty. My family would definitely love your recipe of pancake and sausage. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. haven't though of this idea.. Ill give this a try this week. Looks tempting :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I love it! I kinda got stuck with the sausage as I didn't thought of it as something grind. hehehehe.. Had to look it up on youtube to get it.Thanks for sharing, this is amazing!! I will really try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! A yummy way to serve hard-boiled eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have a Filipino version of this which my husband often makes for us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a nice combo of sausage and egg and it seems easy to prepare even for novice look me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delish! And a simple recipe to follow. I love scotch eggs they are ideal for snacking as well as lunches and light dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks delectable! I will try this one tomorrow. For sure, my daughter will love this. Hard-boiled eggs are her favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Scotch eggs, this is new to me. I would love to have some of these right now. It is making me hungry. Since the recipe doesn't read so hard to do, I might try this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. look so good! this is a different way to make eggs. i am gonna try this recipe. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. definitely gonna try this one of these days. =D

    ReplyDelete
  27. My children love eggs, and this looks like another reason for them to love eggs all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This recipe is easy to follow.All ingredients are always on the pantry.I'll try to cook this one and I'm sure my hubby will gonna love this.Thanks for sharing this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow. sounds easy enough to do. I may try this one of these days. Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks so yummy! Thank you so much for the recipe, mommy Tess! Will definitely try making this within the week :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks scrumptious! Worth giving it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you!