Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Radish Salad (Ensaladang Labanos)



My mother used to cook this when we were small. I think this is one of the best salad I have ever tasted. She serves it with fried galunggong (round scad) fish and rice. It is one of my mothers recipe that I first learned. I always watch her prepare the ingredients  and even volunteer to help.

Every time I see radishes in the market, I make sure to some for the salad. The salad is best eaten right away. Or if you want to keep it for a while, make sure to warn everybody beside you when you open a container full of radish salad, or else they will think that  somebody just  released the most unwelcome gas from inside the body. Here is my version of ensaladang labanos.

Radish salad ingredients:
1 1/2 cups radish peeled and finely sliced
1-3 tomatoes cut into chunks
1 small onion thinly sliced
1/3 cup vinegar (or less, depends on your taste)
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro (optional)

Preparation:
1. Peel and slice the radish thinly.
2. In a bowl, put the radish and sprinkle with 2 tbsp salt. Mix well, set aside for about 20 to 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, squeezed the salted radish. Wash with water and drain.
4. Squeezed again, making sure to remove all the excess salt and water.
5. In a bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Add the radish.
6. Add more salt and pepper according to your taste.
7. Serve with as a side dish. Best with any fried fish or pork.

Note: Can keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you!