Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Ginisang Munggo (Sauteed Mung Bean)




I grew up in a family where ginisang munggo  serves on Fridays, My mother cooks it with bitter gourd/ ampalaya leaves and shrimps or pork. Ginisang paired with fried fish is a  favorite Friday dish among Filipinos.

Now that I have my own family, I love cooking it any day of the week. I don't have ampalaya leaves so I cooked  it with squash flower or any green vegetables available in my garden. Every time I eat sauteed mung beans, it brings back  memories from my childhood.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mung beans
  • 3 cloves  garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup pork, cut into bite size
  • 1 cup shrimp
  • 1 cup any green vegetable of your choice
  • 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
  • 1 medium sized onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water (for boiling)
  • 1 pc beef cube or 1 teaspoon beef powder (for flavoring)
  • crushed pork rind (chicharon), optional
  • ground black pepper
  • salt
Instructions:
  1. In a  sauce pan, put-in the water and mung beans. Bring to a boil. Cook in low fire until becomes soft.
  2. Sauté garlic,onion, and tomato. Add the pork. Cook well.
  3. Add the cooked mung beans. Add in the beef cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add more water  if needed.
  4. Add the shrimp. Stir and then cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add the vegetable of your choice and and chicharon. Simmer for another minute. 
  6. Serve with rice and fried fish.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you!